If you enjoy talking about and learning everything there is to know about a healthy lifestyle you may be considering becoming a health blogger. This could be a great fit for you if you love writing and creating content. It’s also incredibly flexible so you won’t need to be tied down to one location like in a traditional job.
Decide on a Niche
The first thing you will need to consider is what type of health blogger you would like to become. Finding a niche is important so that you can write to a specific audience and become to go-to expert in that field. Think about what knowledge and experience you already have and what you can see yourself writing about for the foreseeable future. You will need to have a passion for the topic to keep yourself motivated unless you intend to outsource the writing to others.
Potential niches could include:
- Life coaching for female entrepreneurs
- Fitness advice for busy new mums
- Health and wellness for women over 50
- Quick and healthy meal ideas for working professionals
Set up a website
Once you have decided on the area you would like to focus on you will be able to start putting together your website. Don’t let the technical aspects put you off. You can search Youtube and Google to find out everything you need to know. These are the steps you’ll be taking:
- Buy a domain name – You can purchase a domain name cheaply from places like Namecheap.
- Purchase hosting – you can buy hosting from places like Bluehost, Godaddy, Siteground and Namecheap.
- Redirect your domain name to your hosting account – This is a simple step so check out Google for how to do this with your domain company and hosting account.
- Install WordPress, theme and plugins.
- Create pages on your site – about page, contact page, blog page etc
- Write blogs! – Creating content is the most important thing, so spend most of your time on this bit.
Content is the most important aspect of your website so spend time creating as much content as you can on a consistent basis. Create a blog planner to keep you on target with a list of blogs that you intend to write. Do your keyword research in batches to save time and ensure that you are writing articles that people will be searching for.
Make Money From Your Health Blog
There are many ways that influencers and bloggers make money, such as partnering with companies to create sponsored content, through affiliate posts and display ads. Some health bloggers even create their own products to sell once they become more established, and this may be something that you may want to consider.
Build Your audience
To become a successful health blogger you will need to create great content for your audience. In time, SEO will pay off and people may be able to find your articles organically through google. In the beginning, you will need to do some extra work if you want people to read your blog. Some of the things you can do to build your audience are:
- Network with other people in the health blogger niche – you can join groups on places such as Facebook.
- Write guest posts – Creating content for other bloggers who already have an audience will help you get some exposure for your blog
- Create an email list – Create a freebie on your blog, such as a printable or small ebook, in exchange for someone’s email address.
- Social media marketing – pick one or two social media platforms and create consistent content that drives traffic back to your own blog
- Freelance writing – You could have a section on your blog where you offer content for other businesses in your field. Find other health businesses, blogs or even magazines that you can write for. The extra bonus to this is that you will get paid to build up experience that will set you apart as an expert.
If becoming a health blogger is your passion then go for it. Keep creating content and believe that you can do it.
This is a paid collaboration