Nuts are a powerhouse of nutrients that people need to stay healthy. They contain protein, fibre, vitamins, minerals and unsaturated fats. As well as being rich in valuable nutrients, nuts have been shown to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and can help people lose weight without feeling hungry.
Nuts are also rich in selenium, which is a great mood booster.
What are the healthiest nuts to eat?
With so many choices, it can be hard to figure out which nuts are the healthiest. However, a study from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that people who eat more nuts are healthier.
People should look for the following when picking healthy nuts:
- Nuts should be unsalted and non-GMO
- Nuts should contain less than 130 calories per serving
- Nuts should be rich in monounsaturated fats (the “good” fat) or polyunsaturated fats
- Nuts should not contain trans fat or high levels of saturated fats
- Nuts should have no added sugar, salt, or oil
Different nuts have different benefits. Here we can see the benefits of 3 nuts; brazil, almond and walnut.
Brazil nuts are high in selenium, which is a good antioxidant for your cells. They are also rich in the amino acid L-arginine which levels out your blood pressure.
The Brazil Nut provides energy and vitality, as well as being a natural mood booster. It has been found that it helps to regulate hormone levels and promote better sleep patterns.
Almonds contain a high concentration of omega 3 fatty acids. They have many health benefits such as lowering LDL cholesterol levels.
Walnuts are a healthier alternative to other nuts. They are high in polyunsaturated fats, antioxidants, fibre and protein.
Walnuts also have many benefits for the brain such as the reduced risk of Alzheimer’s Disease and better cognitive function. These little nuts pack a punch with regards to nutritional benefits as they also help reduce blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels.
Healthy Snacks You Can Make With Nuts
Nuts are a good source of healthy fats that can help you feel fuller and less hungry for longer. Here are some simple and healthy snacks you can make with nuts.
- Add on top of cereal – Make porridge more interesting by adding some chopped brazil nuts or almonds.
- Sprinkle on salads – add on top of salads for extra crunch.
- Add to curries – add some nuts into curries like pasanda.
- Add to soups – spruce up a boring soup by sprinkling some chopped nuts on top.
- Add to a smoothie bowl – add nuts, along with some sliced fruit, to a smoothie bowl for a different texture.
- Bake into bread -make bread even tastier by adding some walnuts and olives to a loaf.
- Add to cake – Coffee and walnut cake is simply delicious!
- Make your own trail mix – Add some dried fruit, seeds, and chocolate drops to create your own trail mix.
- Make nut butter – whip up your own nut butter with peanuts or almonds.
- Add to rice pudding – add some sliced almonds and dried fruit to rice pudding to make it healthier and heartier.